The Stockwood Scrolls
Waterdeep, also known as the City of Splendors, is the most important and influential city in the North, though it is often considered part of the Western Heartlands. The city’s authority extended between thirty to forty miles from its walls. It is a city of grand wizard’s towers and exuberant villas and palaces, built around the base of Mount Waterdeep and looking out onto a grand harbour.
Waterdeep was named for its outstanding natural deep water harbor at the mouth of the River Dessarin, and the city that grew up at this site became the commercial crossroads of the northern Realms. It has been ruled by the masked Lords of Waterdeep, a council of secret interests, since the city’s inception in 1032 DR. The Open Lord of the city, the only lord to rule openly and the most influential, is Laeral Silverhand, who replaced Dagult Neverember, who was also the Lord Protector of Neverwinter.
The city consists of multiple wards which are patrolled by members of the city guard while the Griffon Cavalry patrol the skies above. The city’s navy is exclusively outsourced to Mintarn, unlike in days past. Underneath the city is the world-famed dungeon of Undermountain.
The road to Waterdeep is well paved and well patrolled. The city is the hub of trading from the mineral-rich lands to the north, the merchant kingdoms of Amn and Calimshan to the south, the kingdoms of the Inner Sea to the east, and the sea kingdoms and traders to the west. The city is some 270 miles south of Neverwinter along the High Road, around 750 miles north of Baldur’s Gate via the Trade Way and Coast Way, and about the same distance from Scornubel along the Trade Way. The Long Road heads northeast out of the city, with the town of Triboar about 180 miles away.